Antirrhinum PurpureumPurple Toad-Flax
- Class and Order
- Didynamia Angiospermia
- Generic Character
- Calyx 5-phyllus. Corollæ basis deorsum prominens, nectarifera. Capsula 2-locularis.
- Specific Character and Synonyms
- ANTIRRHINUM purpureum foliis quaternis linearibus, caule erecto spicato. Lin. Syst. Vegetab. p. 555
- LINARIA purpurea major odorata. Bauh. Pin. 213
- LINARIA altera purpurea. Dod. Pempt. 183.
Though not so beautiful as many of the genus, this species is a common inhabitant of the flower-garden, in which it continues to blossom, during most of the summer.
It is a native of Italy, and delights in a dry soil and situation; it will even flourish on walls, and hence will serve very well to decorate the more elevated parts of rock-work.