Centaurea montanaGreater Blue-bottle
- Class and Order
- Syngenesia Polygamia Frustranea
- Generic Character
- Receptaculum setosum. Pappus simplex. Corollæ radii infundibuliformes, longiores, irregulares.
- Specific Character and Synonyms
- CENTAUREA montana calycibus serratis, foliis lanceolatis decurrentibus caule simplicissimo. Lin. Syst. Vegetab. p. 785
- CYANUS montanus latifolius S. Verbasculum cyanoides. Bauh. Pin. 273
- CYANUS major. Lobel. icon. 548.
It has been suggested by some of our readers, that too many common plants, like the present, are figured in this work. We wish it to be understood, that the professed design of the Botanical Magazine is to exhibit representations of such. We are desirous of putting it in the power of all who cultivate or amuse themselves with plants, to become scientifically acquainted with them, as far as our labours extend; and we deem it of more consequence, that they should be able to ascertain such as are to be found in every garden, than such as they may never have an opportunity of seeing. On viewing the representations of objects of this sort, a desire of seeing the original is naturally excited, and the pleasure is greatly enhanced by having it in our power to possess it. But, while we are desirous of thus creating Botanists, we are no less anxious to gratify the wishes of those already such; and we believe, from a perusal of the Magazine, it will appear that one-third of the plants figured, have some pretensions to novelty.
The Centaurea montana is a native of the German Alps, flowers during the greatest part of the summer, is a hardy perennial, and will grow in any soil or situation, some will think too readily.