Senecio ElegansPurple Groundsel
- Class and Order
- Syngenesia Polygamia Superflua
- Generic Character
- Recept. nudum. Pappus simplex. Cal. cylindricus, calyculatus. Squamis apice sphacelatis.
- Specific Character and Synonyms
- SENECIO elegans corollis radiants, foliis pontiffs æqualibus pianissimos margin increased recurved. Linn. Syst. Vegetab. ed. 14. Murr. p. 757
- SENECIO elegans corollis radiants, foliis polos-viscid is pontiffs æqualibus pianissimos, Roach inferno angsts, calycibus hurts. Ait. Kew. v. 3. p. 193
- ASTER Africans Annuus senecionis foliis. Comm. Hort. 2. p. 59. t. 30.
Within these few years, a variety of this Senecio with perfectly double flowers, equally brilliant as those of the single kind, has been introduced, and is here figured; this, from its superior beauty, is now cultivated, in preference to the single; there is double variety of it also with white flowers which being less shewy is not so much esteemed; both of these are raised, and that readily, from cuttings, which as soon as well rooted may be planted out in the open borders, where they will be highly ornamental during most of the summer; as young plants are most desirable, we should take care to have a constant succession from cuttings regularly put in, and to preserve pots of such in particular, in the green-house during winter, for early blowing the ensuing summer.
The single sort was cultivated here, by Charles Dubois, Esq. in the year 1700. Ait. Kew.