Gladiolus CommunisCommon Corn-Flag
- Class and Order
- Triandria Monogynia
- Generic Character
- Corolla sexpartita, ringens. Stamina adscendentia.
- Specific Character and Synonyms
- GLADIOLUS communis foliis ensiformibus, floribus distantibus
- GLADIOLUS utrinque floridus? Bauh. Pin. 41
- The French Corn-Flag. Park. Parad. p. 189. t. 191. f. 1.
Grows wild in the corn fields of most of the warmer parts of Europe, varies with white and flesh-coloured blossoms, increases so fast, both by offsets and seeds, as to become troublesome to the cultivator; hence, having been supplanted by the Greater Corn-Flag, the Byzantinus of Miller, whose blossoms are larger, and more shewy, it is not so generally found in gardens as formerly.