Lotus TetragonolobusWinged Lotus
- Class and Order
- Diadelphia Decagynia
- Generic Character
- Legumen cylindricum strictum. Alæ sursum longitudinaliter conniventes. Cal. tubulosus
- LOTUS tetragonolobus leguminibus solitariis membranaceo-quadrangulis, bractæis ovatis. Linn. Syst. Vegetab, p. 691. Ait. Hort. Kew. p. 91
- LOTUS ruber siliqua angulosa. Bauh. Pin. 332
- LOTUS pulcherrima tetragonolobus. Comm. Hort. 91. t. 26
- PISUM quadratum, the crimson-blossom'd or square-codded Pease. Park. Parad. p. 338.
A common annual in our gardens, where it has been long cultivated; is a native of Sicily, and flowers in the open borders in July and August; requires the same management as other hardy annuals.
Miller observes, that it was formerly cultivated as an esculent plant, the green pods being dressed and eaten as peas.