Scorzonera TingitanaTangier Scorzonera or Poppy-Leav'd Vipers Grass
- Class and Order
- Syngenesia Polygamia Æqualis
- Generic Character
- Receptaculum nudum. Pappus plumosus. Calyx imbricatus, squamis margine scariosis.
- Specific Character and Synonyms
- SCORZONERA tingitana foliis omnibus runcinatis amplexicaulibus. Linn. Syst. Veg. ed. 14. Murr. p. 711
- SONCHUS tingitanus papaveris folio Raii Suppl. 137
- CHONDRILLA tingitana, floribus luteis papaveris hortensis folio. Herm. lugdb. 657. t. 659.
I am indebted for seeds of this plant to my very worthy and liberal friend Nich. Gwyn, M. D. of Ipswich, to whose penetrating genius, and learned researches, Botany owes much.
As its name implies, it is a native of the province of Tangier, on the Barbary coast; appears to have been cultivated here, according to the Hort. Kew. in 1713, but is not mentioned in the 6th 4to. edit. of Miller's Dictionary.
It may be considered as forming a valuable addition to our stock of annuals, being a beautiful plant, and easily cultivated: it thrives best on a moderately dry soil, warmly situated: should be sown in the spring with other annuals.