Sisyrinchium IrioidesIris-Leav'd Sisyrinchium
- Class and Order
- Gynandria Trigynia
- Generic Character
- Monogyna. Spatha diphylla. Petala 6 plana. Capsula tri-locularis, infera.
- Specific Character and Synonyms
- SISYRINCHIUM iridioides foliis ensiformibus; petalis oblongo-obcordatis, venosis; germinibus pyriformibus, subhirsutis
- SISYRINCHIUM Bermudiana. Lin. Syst. Vegetab. p. 820. var. 2. Spec. Pl. p. 1353
- BERMUDIANA iridis folio, radice fibrosa. Dill. Elth. 48. t. 41. f. 48
- SISYRINCHIUM Bermudiana foliis gladiolatis amplexicaulibus, pedunculis brevioribus. Miller's Dict. ed. 6. 4to.
On comparing the present plant with the Bermudiana graminea flore minore c[oe]ruleo of Dillenius, both of which I have growing, and now in pots before me, the difference appears so striking, that I am induced with him and Miller to consider them as distinct species; especially as, on a close examination, there appear characters sufficient to justify me in the opinion, which characters are not altered by culture.
It is a native of the Bermudian Islands, and flowers in the open border from May to the end of July; it is not uncommon to keep it in the greenhouse, for which, from its size &c. it is very well adapted; but it is not necessary to treat it tenderly, as it will bear a greater degree of cold than many plants usually considered as hardy.